September 1, 2016
Psalm 119:11King James Version (KJV)
11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
My challenge is to fill the minds of my family with scripture. So, here’s the plan.
1.Scripture memory system. I have an index card box that sits on the breakfast table so we can practice our verses throughout the day. Kids will just open the box and challenge each other, and my husband is really good at practicing with the family after dinner at night. The whole system is available for FREE here.
2. Scripture memory songs. These are available in kids tunes at Christian bookstores, and I particularly like Integrity Music’s Scripture Memory Songs. Here’s one example at Amazon. “God’s Grace” These songs are appropriate for adults and kids with all kinds of different music styles incorporated with the scriptures.
3. Use scripture daily.
2 Timothy 3:16-17(NIV) All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
When the occasion arises, speak scripture. Declare “This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.” when you get in the car for a drive. Remind the kids to “Do everything without complaining or arguing”. Reflect that “Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise(Prov. 17:28).”
July 18, 2016
Comments Off on Homemade Mosquito Repellent Recipe
Homemade Mosquito Repellent Recipe
- 6 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 drops of Lemongrass essential oil
- 3 Tbsp vodka
- 5 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
Mix all of the ingredients in a spray bottle and add water to fill up the bottle. Spray away!! Please make sure you are using therapeutic grade oils.
full article at: http://livingtraditionally.com/mosquito-repellant-linked-to-neurological-damage-use-this-natural-mosquito-repellent-instead/
June 7, 2016
Comments Off on Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes (Eggcakes) GF
These were a hit. Another way to eat fresh eggs in the morning.
1 ripe banana
Enjoy Life chocolate chips
Beat banana and eggs until smooth with a hand mixer. Pour sand dollar sized circles on a 350F griddle. Sprinkle chocolate chips in the batter on the griddle. Cook until bottom of pancakes is medium brown then turn with a quick spatula. These are delicate cakes. Serve immediately. I made two batches for four kids.
May 31, 2016
Comments Off on Great Gluten Free Goulash
Well my goulash this evening was so well received that my husband requested that I put it on our menu regularly. So I don’t forget, here’s what I did.
Cooking time: 30min
1 lb grass-fed ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
28 oz can diced organic tomatoes with liquid (Aldi)
24 oz jar Organic Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce (Natural Value from Azure)
1 lb Goldbaums Brown Rice Pasta, Penne (Costco)
1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
In deep saucepan, brown beef with onions and green peppers. Add all other ingredients and simmer 15-20 minutes until noodles are desired tenderness. Add a little water (half a can or so) if needed to achieve desired consistency. Serve with warm organic bread and shredded parmesan cheese.
December 19, 2015
Comments Off on Zesty Slow Cooker Chicken Barbecue Recipe – Allrecipes.com
This is our favorite BBQ chicken for sandwiches or with baked potatoes. I skip the sugar and use Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce. -Allison
Use your slow cooker to prepare this great twist on basic barbecue chicken. It is easy to prepare and the sauce also makes a great topping for baked potatoes.
Source: Zesty Slow Cooker Chicken Barbecue Recipe – Allrecipes.com
May 16, 2015
Comments Off on Vinegar as Mosquito Repellant
With many summer days ahead, I am on a quest to live peaceably with Texas mosquitos. I want to find natural ways to keep the little vampires from my family as we enjoy our time outdoors.
First, I planted mosquito repelling plants around our front porch: citronella, lavendar, and marigolds.
Then I discovered they don’t like vinegar. I placed a shallow bowl of vinegar on the back porch where the mosquitos are usually so thick you can’t open the door without letting some in. Voila! It works great. We can stand on the back porch and no mosquitos.
Next I tried repelling them from ME. I have taken two tablets of Apple Cider Vinegar each morning with a glass of water for two weeks. I have been sitting by an outdoor pool for three hours weeknights as the kids swim, and no bites yet.
March 2, 2015
Comments Off on Crunchy Mama 101
For those who would like the idea of a cleaner diet and lifestyle, but the task seems overwhelming, I give you a simple start.
Crunchy Mama 101.
- Buy organic only for the Dirty Dozen. Learn more HERE.
- Sweet Bell Peppers
- Grapes (Imported)
- Read ingredients before buying. If you don’t know what it is, don’t buy it.
- Cook simple meals.
- No nitrates in lunch meats or sausage. Buy white fresh sourdough bread instead of whole grain (when you have time read Grain Brain).
- When you run out of laundry detergent, buy Charlie’s Soap Laundry Detergent. The big bucket will last a year. Use OxyClean (or the generic) for stain treatment. No laundry dryer sheets.
- When you run out of Lysol or bathroom cleaner, buy castile soap (Target, Amazon, AzureStandard.com, etc.) and a bottle of Mrs Myers Clean Day All Purpose Cleaner. When Mrs. Myers runs out refill with 3 Tablespoons white vinegar, 3 T castile soap, 20 drops essential oil (optional)( try tea tree, orange, lemon, or peppermint), fill the rest with water.
- When your dishwasher detergent runs out. Make some. You will still need a drying agent (e.g. JedDry).
- 1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax (Walmart)
- 1 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (Walmart)
- 1/2 citric acid (Amazon)
- 1/2 cup kosher salt (any grocery store, Walmart)
- Plug your wifi router into a “vacation” timer (like our parents used when we went out of town to turn on a light)(buy at Walmart or Target) so that is off during sleeping hours. More on wifi and cell phones HERE. Always have kids use cell phone on speaker to keep some distance from the phone. Do not sleep within 5 feet of your cell phone.
- Always be in bed from 10pm-2am and have a regular bedtime for the kids. Read more HERE.
December 31, 2014
Comments Off on Better than EZ Bake for budding bakers
My daughter (age 7) asked for an EZ Bake oven for Christmas. She is capable of following a recipe and baking except she can’t safely reach to use the wall oven. In lieu of the EZ Bake I ordered her a quality toaster oven. She has made muffins, cookies, and even pizza! I even like this little oven for toast or warming up leftovers. Be careful and wear oven mitts, it does get HOT! This really is an easy oven, especially since my daughter is doing the cooking. My only loss is a little counter space. Don’t forget to order the small size pans.
December 29, 2014
Comments Off on Supermodel Smiles with Damon Braces
Well, one of my children required braces because of severe crowding and having teeth that shifted when a baby tooth was pulled early. She had severe damage to her baby teeth from acid reflux before going on the GAPS diet. Not a problem anymore, but MyoBrace is not effective if teeth are pulled prematurely.
I wanted her to have a big supermodel smile and for her overbite and crowding to be corrected. I had her evaluated (age 9) at a traditional orthodontist and a Damon system orthodontist. The traditional orthodontist wanted to use two stages of braces. The first stage with a lip bumper and a palate expander, and later a second stage of braces for alignment of all the adult teeth. The Damon system orthodontist wanted to use a lip bumper without braces, then a Herbst appliance to extend the lower jaw (correct the overbite), and then align with braces.
After seeing pictures of the results from both doctors it was clear. I wanted the Damon system.
- No teeth pulled
- Fuller smiles
- Less time in braces
- No elastic ties, easier to clean.
- Fewer appointments.
Already I am impressed with the changes in my daughter’s face and teeth after two years with a lip bumper (very easy to keep clean and wear). She will be wearing the Herbst in a month. We use Dr. Anderson in Katy 281-578-0008 (the Scholtens sent you), and there is a nationwide list of providers on the Damon braces website.
December 29, 2014
Comments Off on Straight teeth without braces… Myobrace
A good friend introduced me to Myobrace at just the right time (treatment starts as early as 6 years old). What a wonderful alternative to braces for many children. Kids just wear what looks like a sports mouth guard while they sleep and an hour or two during the day, and the teeth align correctly. It is surprisingly easy for the kids to get used to sleeping with the MyoBrace. At first it would fall out when they fell asleep, but a few nights of putting it back in while the kids were half asleep was all it took to get them used to it. Two of my kids have had marvelous results with this system. You can read all about it on the MyoBrace web site HERE. Our MyoBrace dentist is Dr. Tim Gutierrez, DDS at Katy Family Dentists (832) 200-1273 (the Scholtens sent you), and there are a list of providers on the MyoBrace web site.